AMHERST TODAY.

Hard Game Probable.--Decided Improvement in Practice.

Harvard will play Amherst today on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock. Amherst has shown great strength this year, holding Yale down to only one touchdown. As Amherst has a heavy line and fast backs the game this afternoon should be hard and close.

The line-up: HARVARD.  AMHERST. Bowditch, Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Anderson Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Howard Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Palmer Sargent, c.  c., Park Cutts, l.g.  r.g., Varnum Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Morse Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Chase Baldwin, Matthews, q.b.  q.b., Swift Devens, Knowles, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Biram Putnam, Derby, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Crook Mifflin, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Pierce

The practice yesterday was an improvement over Monday's. The first eleven scored twice on the second, and the men got into the plays with more energy and snap. There was still a tendency to fumble, but only once did this result seriously. An encouraging feature was the quick and effective formation of interference on end runs, of which the backs were quick to take advantage. Greene and Sugden did not play yesterday and Cutler of the Freshman squad played centre on the second.

Graydon and Lawrence at tackle played a vigorous and effective game, and Cutts and Barnard at guard could generally make openings. Robinson showed up well in the preliminary practice. Putnam, Kernan, Devens and Knowles back of the line played with dash and spirit, backing up the line well, following their interference, and fighting till downed. Mifflin was good for gains through the line but punted poorly. Meier did not punt as well as usual, and lacked judgment. Matthews at quarter played a careful and accurate game, passing the ball surely.

Graydon kicked off to Meier who ran the ball back 13 yards. Ives punted, but Thayer who had run down under the punt interfered with a free catch and the first was given 10 yards. Knowles then went around left end for 25 yards. Steady gains through the line by Mifflin secured a touchdown. The punt out was caught by Matthews, but Graydon missed goal.

Dodge kicked off to Knowles who advanced the ball 12 yards. Ends runs by Knowles and Putnam, and line-bucking by Mifflin advanced the ball into the second's territory. Mifflin punted to Swann who was tackled by Campbell. The second fumbled, and the first secured the ball on the 35 yard line. Gains through right tackle advanced the ball the 15 yard line, where it was fumbled and lost. Meier was forced to punt. The line did not hold and the kick went only 15 yards. Gains by Swann, Kernan and Mifflin secured the second touchdown. Mifflin carrying the ball over. Time was called without any further scoring.

In the second half Randolph kicked off to Kernan who ran the ball back 20 yards. On a fumble Hurd got the ball, but except for a short gain by him the second was unable to advance the ball further. Kernan punted for 45 yards, getting the kick off quickly. The second was given five yards for off-side play, which was followed by gains by Hurd and Greenough outside of right and left tackles. The first then held and Meier had to punt. Work by Kernan and Devens advanced the ball to the 45 yard line where time was called.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, Percival, r.e.  l.e., Thayer Lawrence, Jones, r.t.  l.t., Dodge, Wright Barnard, Robinson, r.g.  l.g., Grew Sargent, c.  c., Cutler Cutts, l.g.  r.g., King Graydon, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., O'Connell, Randolph Campbell, Littig, l.e.  r.e., Clothier Matthews, q.b.  q.b., Noyes, Chew Knowles, Swann, Ives, Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hurd Putnam, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Ives, Greenough Mifflin, f.b.  f.b., Meier