Address by Dr. Abbott.

Dr. Lyman Abbott of New York spoke at the University Meeting in Brooks House last night. Dr. Abbott took as his subject those basic principles which under religion and morality and are common to all men of all creeds.

By Jews and Christians, Catholics and Protestants, Liherlists and Conservatives, certain fundamental truths are universally accepted. All churches recognize in common that there is a physical order in its material universe and that there is a moral order that reveals itself in the world of men. They believe that the fundamental principles of this moral order were first represented in the ten commandments and were revealed in the life of Jesus, the one perfect man--whether they believe this man to have been a divinely inspired mortal or Christ, the son and substance of the Father. These universal principles of morality comprise the law of love and good will towards other men, obedience to divine laws and reverence toward God. These principles if sincerely believed, will influence the study and the whole lives of men. In their study of science men will seek to learn something of the internal order of the material universe and something therefore of the Creator who is back of it all. In their study of history and literature they will seek to learn something of moral order and of Him who inspires and directs human life.

Men of all churches and creeds believe also that man is made in God's image, that men are of kin to Him, and that their duty is to fulfill in their own lives and characters the principles of that moral order that God has shaped for the world. On the really vital truths of religion all men, irrespective of sectarian distinctions, may unite, and in this unity of thought and feeling may aid each other in fulfilling the one great aim of all religions--the perfecting of the divine order, by bringing the whole world into harmony with God's will.