The New Star.

By means of observations and photographs, the observatory is making a careful study of the new star, discovered last Friday night. The star is now very nearly ten thousand times as bright as it was a week ago and its brilliancy is likely to begin decreasing at any time, although it is impossible to predict changes with the least degree of certainty. Very conspicuous changes, however, plainly visible to the eye, are likely to take place within the week.

The star is a very prominent one now and its position can be easily described: It can be seen at about seven or eight in the evening by looking overhead at the brighest star in the zenith and following with the eye about one quarter of the area from that star to the western horizon. The distinguishing points are that it is very bright and is almost exactly in the centre of a triangle of three other stars. More specifically--following along that part of the Fence running from the Co-operative to Massachusetts--if one stands by the first post after the break at about 10 p. m., the star will appear just little to the left of the steeple of the Unitarian church, about half way up the super-structure of the steeple.