Individual Golf Championship.

ATLANTIC CITY, N. J., May 9. -- The qualifying rounds for the individual intercollegiate golf championship were played off this morning. The following sixteen men were retained, their respective scores being given: Wadsworth (H), Brown (H), 86; Byers (Y), Pyne (P), Robertson (Y), 87; Lindsley (H), Curtis (H), 90; Bates (C), 91; Averill (H), Richardson (H), Myers (Y), Hitchcock (Y), 92; Edwards (C), Wilson (P), Bonner (P), Hollins (H), 93.

In the afternoon, the first round of matches was played, at the end of which four Harvard men were left for the second round. Curtis defeated Pyne 3 up, Lindsley won from Bates 1 up, Wadsworth from Edwards 6 up, and Richardson from Byers 3 up. The other players remaining were Myers, who defeated Hollins 2 up, Hitchcock, who beat Bonner 5 up, Wilson, who beat Averill 4 up, and Robertson, who won from Brown in a 19 hole match. This match was unusually close. With an even score at the end of the 16th hole, the last two holes were halved, Robertson winning the 19th in 4. The best match was perhaps that between Richardson and Byers, where 18 holes were made in 84 and 85. Hollins was not in form, which accounts for his defeat.

Following are the matches in the second round, to be played tomorrow morning: Curtis vs. Myers, Lindsley vs. Robertson, Richardson vs. Wadsworth, Hitchcock vs. Wilson.