YALE WINS DUAL GAMES.

Harvard's Weakness in the Field Events Loses Track Meet.--Score, 57 to 47.

Yale defeated Harvard in the dual track games at New Haven Saturday afternoon, by a score of 57 points to 47. The meet throughout was close and interesting, the final result being in doubt until the last event was completed. As was expected, Harvard showed the greater strength on the track, but was weak in the filed events. On the track Harvard scored 36 points to Yale's 28, and in the field 11 to Yale's 29. In every event but the broad jump Yale secured at least one point, while Harvard failed to score in the hammer throw, the shot out and the pole vault.

One intercollegiate record and three dual games records were broken, all four by Yale men. Sheldon of Yale broke the intercollegiate record in the shot, by his put of 44 ft. 8 1-2 in., which is 5 1-2 in. ahead of the record held by Book of Yale. In the two mile, Tell of Yale ran in 9m. 55 4-5s., which breaks Richardson's record of last year by 1 4-5s. Hargrave of Yale did the best individual work. He won both the 100 and 220 yard dashes in record time--the first in 10s., the previous record being 10 1-5s., and the second in 21 4-5s., lowering the record by 2 5s.

In many of the events the result was entirely unexpected. Spraker of Yale who was expected to win the broad jump, failed to quality and all three places were secured by Harvard. In the two mile run, where Harvard was supposed to be strongest, Yale got both first and third places, Tell beating out Richard son, who spurted too late to get better than a very close second. Clapp of Yale was looked upon as a winner in both hurdle races, but was able to get only second place.

Up to the time of the last two events--the hammer throw and the pole vault--Harvard was ahead by 47 points to Yale's 41, needing only 6 points to win. Although Goodhue and Sawyer both did better in the pole vault than they had ever done before in practice neither was able to secure a place. Goodhue cleared the bar on his last trial, but knocked it off with his elbow. Although Boal had repeatedly thrown the hammer over 140 feet in practice, he was able to do only 126 feet, and then stepped out of the ring and was disqualified. So in these two events Yale secured all three places, thus winning the meet by a margin of 10 points.

A number of the Harvard team did very well. Converse and Willis each secured a first and a third in the hurdles, and Clerk won the quarter after a hard finish from Hunter of Yale. In the half mile, DuBois set the pace for the Harvard men, Behr and Boynton, who finished almost together, some distance ahead of Franchot of Yale. As was expected, Clark won the mile, in excellent time. White and Knowles, however, were both beaten out on the stretch, by Weston and Waldron of Yale. Knowles set a hard pace for the second lap and was well in the lead at the beginning of the stretch, but was unable to spurt at the finish. In the high jump the work of Eillis was excellent. He cleared 5 ft. 11 1-4 in., and Speaker barely won out on his third trial at 6 ft. 1-4 in.

The summary follows:

100 Yards Dash.

First Heat--Won by Haign, H.; second, Lightner, H. Time, 10 1-5s.

Second Heat--Won by Hargrave, Y.; second, Webb, H. Time, 10s.

Final--Won by Hargrave, Y.; second, Lightner, H.; third, Webb, H. Time, 10s.

220 Yards Dash.

First Heat--Won by Dupee, Y.; second, Lightner, H. Time, 22 1-5s.

Second Heat--Won by Hargrave, Y.; second, Clerk, H. Time, 22 1-5s.

Final--Won by Hargrave, Y.; Second, Dupee, Y.; third, Lightner, H. Time, 21 4-5s.

440 Yards Dash.

Won by Clerk, H.; second, Hunter, Y.; third, Manson, H. Time, 51 2-5s.

880 Yards Run.

Won by Behr, H.; second, Boynton, H.; third, Franchot. Y. Time, 2m. 1 1-5s.

Mile Run.

Won by Clark, H.; second, Weston,; Y,; third, Waldron, Y. Time, 4m. 29 2-5s.

Two Mile Run.

Won by Teel, Y.; second, Richardson, H.; third, Gay. Y. Time, 9m. 55 4-5s.

120 Yards High Hurdles.

First Heat--Won by Clapp, Y.; second, Hallowell, H. Time, 15 4-5s.

Second Heat--Won by Willis, H.; second, Converse; H. Time, 16s.

Final--Won by Converse, H.; second, Clapp, Y.; third, Willis, H. Time, 15 4-5s.

220 Yards Low Hurdles.

First Heat--Won by Willis, H.; second, Thomas, Y. Time, 25 2-5s.

Second Heat--Won by Clap, Y.; second, Converse, H. Time, 25s.

Final--Won by Willis, H.; second, Clapp, Y.; third, Converse, H. Time, 25s.

High Jump.

Won by Spraker, Y.; 6 ft. 1-4 in.; second, Eillis, H.; 5 ft. 11 1-4 in.; third, Rotch, H. 5 ft. 10 3-4 in.

Broad Jump.

Won by Shirk, H., 21 ft. 11 in.; second, Ristine, H., 21 ft. 9 in.; third, Foster, H., 21 ft. 6 1-2 in.

Shot Put.

Won by Sheldon, Y., 44 ft. 3 1-2 in.; second, Goss, Y., 41 ft. 9 1-2 in.; third, Beck, Y., 41 ft. 5 1-2 in.

Hammer Throw.

Won by Stilman, Y., 141 ft. 8 in.; second, Sheldon, Y., 132 ft., 9 in.; third, Brown, Y., 129 ft. 1 1-2 in.

Pole Vault.

Hord, Y., Peas, Y., and Thompeon, Y., tied at 10 ft. 5 in.

The points won in the several events. this year and in the same events in last year's meet are given below:  1901  1900  H. Y.  H. Y.100 yards dash,  3  5  3  5220 yards dash,  1  7  3  5440 yards dash,  6  2  3  5880 yards run,  7  1  5  3Mile run,  5  3  1  7Two-mile run,  2  6  8  0120 yards high hurdles,  6  2  6  2220 yards low hurdles,  6  2  7  1High jump,  3  5  8  0Broad jump,  8  0  8  0Shot put,  0  8  3  5Hammer throw,  0  8  6  2Pole vault,  0  8  11/2  61/2  47 57  621/2  411/