HARVARD, 13; AMHERST, 2.

Poor Pitching and Costly Errors Give Harvard the Game.

The University nine won a slow and one-sided game from Amherst yesterday afternoon by a score of 13 to 2. The ease of the victory was due in a great measure to the mediocre pitching of Rushmore and the ragged fielding of the Amherst team. Considering the pitching encountered, Harvard's hitting was not remarkable; besides, the tendency to try for long hits was very noticeable. On the other hand the nine showed a decided improvement in speed, team work and base-running.

Stillman pitched a steady, reliable game, allowing only four hits; but allowed Amherst to bunch three of them in the third inning. The encouraging part of the game was the success of putting Frantz of first and Murphy on second. Both fielded their positions easily and faultlessly and madehard, timely hits. G. C. Clark's slow fielding and poor base-running was somewhat counterbalanced by a long home run Kernan was slow in the field and batted awkwardly, but did some promising work behind the bat. With the exception of Reid, the rest of the team had only fair success at the bat because of useless efforts to knock the ball over the outfielders' heads. In the field Coolidge, Wendell and Devens all accepted hard chances in good style.

Murphy scored the run in the first inning on his three-base hit and Wendell's single. The three runs in the second inning resulted from two bases on balls and singles by Devens, Frantz and Reid. In the third inning G. C. Clark led off with a home run. Kernan got a base on balls and was forced at second by Devens, who stole second and came home on Murphy's long single. In the fourth inning the Amherst team went to pieces, making four costly errors, and this with a hit by Coolidge and a base on balls brought in five runs. Successive singles by Frantz, Reid and Stillman scored the last two runs in the sixth inning.

Except in the first and third innings Amherst did not get a man to first. In the third inning Rushmore made a hit past third, went to second on Hawley's single and scored on Chase's hit. Hawley went to third on Chase's hit and scored on Reid's wild throw to first to catch Chase.

The game was called at the end of the seventh inning on account of the late hour.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Devens, r.f.  5  2  1  1  0  0 Murphy, 2b.  4  2  2  1  3  0 Wendell, l.f.  5  0  1  2  0  0 Frantz, 1b.  5  2  2  8  1  0 Reid, c., c.f.  4  2  3  5  0  1 Stillman, p.  2  1  1  2  3  0 G. C. Clark, 3b.  4  2  1  0  0  0 Coolidge, s.s.  3  1  1  0  2  0 Kernan, c.f.,c,  2  1  0  2  0  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  34  13  12  21  9  1 AMHERST.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  r.  e. Shay, c.f.  3  0  1  0  0  1 Hawley, l.f.  2  1  1  0  1  1 C ase, 3b.  3  0    1  2  0 King, c.  2  0  0  4  2  0 Sturgis, a,a  3  0  0  4  1  1 Couch, 2b.  3  0  0  3  5  2 Bartlett, r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Favour, 1b.  3  0  0  4  0  1 Rushmore, p.  2  1  1  0  1  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  24  2  4  18  12  6

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Harvard,  1  3  2  5  2  0  --13 Amherst,  0  0  2  0  0  0  0--2

Earned runs--Harvard 6, Amherst 1. Home run -- G. C. Clark. Three-base hit--Murphy. Sacrifice hit--Hawley. Stolen bases--Devens 3, Wendell, Frantz 3, Reid 4, G. C. Clark, Coolidge 2, Kernan. Bases on balls--by Stillman: King; by Rushmore: Murphy, Stillman 2, Coolidge, Kernan 2. Struck out--by Stillman: Hawley, Sturgis, Couch, Bartlett, Favour 2; by Rushmore: Murphy 2, Stillman, Coolidge. Time -- 2h. 5m. Umpire--Miah Murray.