Rensselaer Defeated at Basketball.

The University basketball team defeated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy, Saturday night, in a hard fought game by the score of 10 to 9. The game was close from the start, each team alternating in the lead until Harvard scored the winning goal during the last few minutes of play. Both teams played strongly, but Harvard was more accurate in tossing baskets and in passing. Harvard's defense was very effective and the Rensselaer team was able to score only two goals from the field. At times, however, the Harvard team played carelessly, and made several unnecessary fouls. The best individual playing was done by Clark and Fosdick for Harvard, and by Judd and Burgoyne for Rensselaer.

The summary of the game is as follows: HARVARD.  RENSSELAER. Gilles, r.f.  l.g., Whitmore. Clark, l.f.  r.g., Sollenburg. Smith, Browne, c.  c., Burgoyne. Hanavan, r.g.  l.f., Judd. Fosdick, l.g.  r.f., Doty.

Goals from field: Harvard--Clark 2, Fosdick 1; Rensselaer--Judd 1, Burgoyne 1. Goals from fouls: Harvard--Gilles 1; Rensselaer--Judd 1, Burgoyne 2.

Princeton defeated Columbia on Saturday night by a score of 44 to 12.

The standing of the teams in the Intercollegiate Basketball League at present is as follows:   Won.  Lost.  Average. Princeton,  2  0  1.000 Yale,  1  0  1.000 Harvard,  1  1  .500 Cornell,  1  2  .333 Columbia,  0  2  .000