PARKWAY TO QUINCY SQUARE.

Petition Submitted for the Improvement of Bow and DeWolf Streets.

The University, together with the University Associates Trustees, submitted on Tuesday to the Board of Survey of Cambridge a petition proposing that a suitable parkway be constructed from the College grounds to the Charles River Parkway. It is planned to widen and level DeWolf and Bow streets with a view to providing a dignified and suitable roadway between the parkway and Quincy square. By the opening of such an avenue a direct passage would be established from the Boston park system through the Cambridge esplanade to the University grounds. It is urged that immediate action be taken on the ground that "it will not be long before all the present narrow streets running from those grounds to the new parkway will be so choked with expensive buildings that this much needed improvement will become impossible." A public hearing is asked for, at which a statement will be submitted showing a possible treatment of the streets in question.

For the University the petition is signed by President Eliot, C. F. Adams '88 and R. H. Dana '74; for the University Associates Trustees it is signed by A. Bowditch '76, E. M. Parker '77 and H. J. Coolidge '92. The petition was originated and drawn up by the University Associates Trustees, which is a real estate corporation and bears no relation to Harvard. A statement signed by A. Bowditch and H. J. Coolidge accompanies the petition, showing that the purpose of the petition is to secure favorable action on the proposed improvement, which has been in discussion for some time.

The Board of Survey of Cambridge has decided to hold a public hearing in Cambridge at the City Hall on Friday, January 10, at 8 o'clock.