University Debating Schedule

At a meeting of the University Debating club yesterday afternoon the date for the Princeton debate was definitely settled as December 12. The question for debate as submitted by Princeton will be announced in the CRIMSON on Monday, October 27. The first trial for the selection of the University team will be held on Friday evening, October 31, at 7 o'clock, in the Fogg Lecture Room. The second and third trials will be held on Monday, November 3, and on Thursday, November 6. The choice of sides by Harvard will be announced on the evening of the last trial.

There will be five judges appointed, who will serve at all of the trials. At the first trial each man will be allowed to speak for five minutes and from twelve to fifteen men will be retained. At the second trial the men retained at the first trial will be allowed to speak for ten minutes each. Six of these men will be retained for the final trial which will be in the form of a regular debate, each man speaking twelve minutes with a rebuttal of five minutes. A Coolidge prize of one hundred dollars will be awarded to the man who debates with best effect in the trials.

The dates for the interclass debates have been re-arranged. The final debate of this series will not be held until the beginning of the second half-year. The Senior-Junior debate will take place on Wednesday evening, December 10, and the Sophomore-Freshman debate on Friday evening, December 12. The questions for the interclass debates will be submitted on Thursday, November 13 and the trials will be held on Monday, November 17 and Thursday, November 20.

A challenge for a debate with Brown University has been received, but has been declined on account of the interference it would entail in the preparation for debates already scheduled.