THE PRACTICE AGAIN POOR.

Fumbling, Unsteadiness and Lack of Team Work Apparent.

The University football practice yesterday was devoted almost entirely to scrimmages in which the first eleven again showed its inability to defeat the second team. Among the other unsatisfactory features was the punting practice preceeding the regular line-up, which emphasized the fact that very few of the men have yet learned to catch the ball without fumbling. The players frequently mis-judged the kicks and were too willing to receive the ball on the bounce.

Bowditch and Burgess were both laid off yesterday on account of slight disabilities. Clark's injured collar-done is still keeping him out of the game but he will return in a week or ten days.

There were a number of graduate coaches on the field yesterday. They gave particular attention to individual work and personally instructed the men in blocking and breaking through the line. Those assisting Coach Farley were W. Hoag '94, J. C. Fairchild, Jr., '96, F. D. Cochrane '99, R. W. Emmons '95, F. S. Newell '92, R. Brown '98, B. G. Waters '94, and W. H. Lewis '95. A. F. Casad, captain of the West Point eleven last year and coach of that team this season, watched the practice.

The first eleven started in to play well against the second, but the faults which have been their chief obstacles in the games this fall soon appeared and prevented them from scoring. All through the practice, the line played too high and consequently placed itself at a disadvantage. It also failed to charge as soon as the ball was passed and so made poor openings. Thus every play was a confused scrimmage with only the greater weight to determine which way the mass should fall. This method proved sufficient to enable the first team to force the ball slowly down the field for eighty yards but on the second eleven's three yard line, the nervousness or anxiety which already in several games has prevented the team from making touchdowns when within striking distance, allowed the second eleven to get the ball on downs. Soon after the punt out from behind the goal, the first eleven again lost the ball on the second team's thirty yard line, from where the second advanced it nearly to the middle of the field before time was called. Crocker did some good defensive work at right end on the second team and besides breaking up interference, once tackled for a considerable loss. Lyon played cleverly at centre against King. Stillman was effective in advancing the ball but was almost useless on the defence. The line-ups were: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Jones, l.e.  r.e., Crocker Wright, Bleakie, l.t.  r.t., O'Connell Marshall, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Wilder King, e.  e., Lyon Barnard. r.g.  l.g., Frost Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Whitwell Motley, r.e.  l.e., Littig Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Noyes Stillman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Foster Tenney, Lindsay, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Kerans, Randall, Ives Graydon, f.b.  f.b., Schoolkoff