"The White Mountains."

At the meeting of the Natural History Society last night the subject discussed was the White Mountains. Interesting talks were given by Mr. John R. Edmands, of the University Observatory, on "Physical Features which fit the White Mountains for a National Park;" A. S. Pease 1G. on "Some Plants of the Presidential Range," illustrated by Herbarium specimens; and Mr. Glover M. Allen, secretary of the Boston Natural History Society, on "Mammals of the White Mountain Region."

Mr. Edmands illustrated his talk with numerous photographs of the mountains, illustrating the beautiful forest lands and barren mountain peaks. These forests are being gradually cut by the lumber men, and unless the government prohibits their destruction the country will depreciate both in beauty and value, as the undergrowth is very slow to take root and grow up.

Mr. Pease has made a study of the flora of the White Mountain range and has collected many valuable specimens. Many of the flowers found in the higher places are technically connected with plants found in Labrador, which goes to show that these mountains were once covered by great glaciers which deposited the flora on these peaks.

Mr. Allen showed some interesting specimens of the mammals of the region.