FENCING TOURNAMENT OPENS.

Preliminary Bouts Begin Tonight. -- Seven Colleges Represented.

The tenth annual intercollegiate fencing tournament will begin tonight in the rooms of the New York Athletic Club. The preliminary bouts will be held this evening and tomorrow afternoon and the finals tomorrow evening. Seven colleges will be represented: Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, West Point, Annapolis, and Pennsylvania. Each team will have three men and each man will fence with all the others except those from his own college. This system will give each contestant eighteen bouts.

The trophy which becomes each year the temporary property of the College winning the tournament, is a bronze statue of a swordsman, three and one-half feet high. Of nine tournaments which have been held, Harvard has won seven.

Although the West Point and Cornell teams are considered the strongest this year, Harvard has superior form; and this with the necessary aggressiveness gives the team a good chance of winning. The Harvard team will consist of: T. D. Roberts '03, F. W. Palfrey 4M., R. M. Henderson '02, and H. W. Holmes '03, substitute. C. D. Burchenal '02 of last year's team is not eligible this year. F. G. Jackson '03, manager, and Monsieur Pianelli, instructor, will accompany the team.