GOLF TEAM PROSPECTS.

A Criticism of the Candidates.--Ontlook for a Strong Team Favorable.

Owing to the recent rainy weather, the candidates for the golf team have had very little opportunity to practice. The prospects for a strong team this year are bright. Only two of last year's team are unavailable, and there is very good material to draw from, especially in the Freshman class. During the two weeks between the end of the recess and the intercollegiate tournament the following matches will be played: Wednesday, April 23, Wollaston at Wollaston; Saturday, April 26, Agawam, at Providence; Wednesday, April 30, Wollaston at Wollaston. Besides these, several matches will probably be played by the second team.

Of last year's intercollegiate team, five men are available, Hollins, Brown, Richardson, Lindsley, and Wadsworth. The most promising of the other candidates are: U. A. Murdock '04, W. E. Egan '05, H. C. Egan '05, W. W. Hoffman '02, P. A. Proal '05, T. G. Wheelock '05, T. M. Richards '04, A. P. Thornton '03, G. P. Snow '04, F. H. Appleton '03, and W. Tuckerman '03.

Hollins played first man on last year's team, defeating Byers of Yale in the finals of the intercollegiate team match. He is the strongest member of the team, reliable and at times brilliant.

Brown beat Hitchcock in the intercollegiate team match, and won the college championship last fall. He is a steady player, and can be relied upon.

Richardson, captain, played number four on last year's team, and has had a great deal of experience. He is somewhat less steady than Brown, but is capable of brilliant playing. Lindsley is the present intercollegiate champion, defeating Hitchcock in the individual championship last spring. Wadsworth was substitute last year. In the qualifying round of the individual championship he tied Brown for the lowest score. W. E. Egan '05 was runner-up to Travis in the national championship last summer. U. A. Murdock '04, W. W. Hoffman '02 and T. M. Richards '04 have all done well in open tournaments, and are valuable candidates. P. A. Proal '05 won the inter-scholastic championship of New York last year, and did well in this year's College championship. A. P. Thornton '03 was runner-up in the College championship, and should develop this spring. He needs more playing over long courses, however.