Overseers' Bill Law Today.

The bill in regard to the franchise in electing Overseers of the University, which was signed by Governor Crane on March 27, becomes a law today as far as the Massachusetts Legislature is concerned, a provision having been attached stating that thirty days must have elapsed after the Governor had signed the bill before it could become a law. Before this act shall be in force, however, it is provided that the Board of Overseers and the Corporation of the University, at separate meetings held for that purpose, shall by vote assent to the same. The governing boards will probably vote their acceptance of this act at meetings to be held in the near future. It must be understood, however, that the amendment included by the Senate provides that if accepted, the bill shall not become operative for three years; so that if the two governing boards of the University accept this act this spring, the question as to whether the franchise for voting for Overseers, now restricted to graduates of the College, is to be extended to graduates of other departments, will not be decided until the spring of 1905.