WELD CREWS WIN

Close Race Between 1903 Crews.--Two Easy Victories.

The Weld crews won all three races yesterday afternoon in the trials with the Newell to decide which crews should represent their classes in the finals on Friday. With the exception of a slight wind blowing diagonally across the course, the weather conditions were favorable, and the time in each case was fairly good. The Junior race was the closest and most exciting as the difference between the two shells at the finish was barely two feet. Both the other heats were easy victories for the Weld crews, which showed more strength and endurance than their opponents at the Newell.

Owing to the tide there was a delay at the start and the first race, between the Newell and Weld Sophomores, did not commence until after six o'clock. The two crews caught the water together, but the Weld boat, rowing a 37 stroke immediately began to forge ahead and, settling to about a 35 to the Newell's 33, gradually increased the lead and won by three and a quarter lengths of open water. At the Harvard bridge, the Newell crew was only a length behind, but was unable to spurt and steadily dropped to the rear. The time was 9 minutes and 50 seconds.

In the Junior race, the Newell boat started with about a 35 stroke, but the Weld, rowing a point lower, slowly drew ahead, and, after two-thirds of the distance had been covered, had a lead of half a length. These positions were maintained until within some fifty yards of the finish, when the Newell crew raised the stroke and began to gain rapidly. The Weld boat, however, crossed the line first by about two feet. The time, 9 minutes, 44 1-2 seconds, was the fastest made during the afternoon.

In the Senior race, for the first half-mile the boats were practically even, but the Weld crew's long, swinging stroke proved superior to the Newell's shorter and quicker beat, and the last part of the race was merely a procession. The Newell crew made a plucky attempt to reduce their opponents' lead, but finished three open lengths behind. Time, 9 minutes, 59 seconds.

Following are the orders of the three winning crews:

Senior Weld--Stroke, Bancroft (captain); 7, Francis; 6, Shuebruk; 5, Colby; 4, Covel; 3, Morse; 2, Richardson; bow, Brooks; cox., Chase.

Junior Weld--Stroke, Wolcott; 7, Hartwell; 6, Derby; 5, Bent; 4, Greenough; 3, James; 2, Roberts (captain); bow, George; cox., Kelley.

Sophomore Weld--Stroke, Dillingham; 7, Lindsley; 6, Jackson; 5, May; 4, Sanger; 3, Lloyd; 2, Minturn (captain); bow, Fairchild; cox., Otis.