Newell Crew Leaves Today.

The first Newell graded crew will leave the Square at 5 o'clock this afternoon to race the Cornell first junior eight and the Syracuse second crew at Ithaca on Friday afternoon. The shell will be sent away early this afternoon. The squad will be quartered at the Clinton House, Ithaca.

The crew rowed a full two miles on time yesterday afternoon, starting at the Longwood bridge and finishing well below the Union Boat Club. The men did the best work they have yet done, keeping the stroke fairly long and standing steadily on their stretchers. At the finish, they raised the stroke several points for a rather strong spurt. The time was 10m. 18s., which is very encouraging, considering that the crew was favored by neither tide nor wind.

The following men will go to Ithaca: Boardman, Swaim, Henderson, Haycock, Foster, Morris, Stone, Low, Stokes, Clark, Wigglesworth, Manning, Coach Vail, C. Hart.

The Newell officials for the race have been chosen as follows: Time-keeper, Vail; judge at finish, Clark; judge in referee's boat, Manning.