AN AMERICAN HENLEY

The American Rowing Association Formed.--First Regatta Next Spring.

For many years the possibility of holding a rowing regatta in this country on the plan of the famous English "Henley" has been often discussed. Within the last few years the interest in rowing among college men and graduates has so rapidly increased that the time has come to take a new step in the organization of American rowing. The increased interest in rowing is shown by the enthusiastic support given by undergraduates to newly formed rowing clubs in many of the universities and by the success in many places of interscholastic rowing associations. From these sources have sprung a body of men whose interest has been aroused and whose attitude toward rowing is very different from that of the average university oar of the past. More intelligent methods of training and a dawning idea that rowing is not a drudgery, but a sport and a recreation, have worked great changes in the attitude of the men, and many of them have now become actively interested in rowing clubs after graduation. From this body of men the new rowing organization has emanated and on them it will depend for its active support in the future. What they ask and what they must have is an opportunity to meet in competition others of their kind who have had the same rowing experience and whose ideals of the sport are similar to their own. The local regattas of the various associations do not exactly fill the needs of these men. The National Regatta, while an admirable and indispensable fixture, does not appeal to this body of men who, for the most part, have no aspirations for championship honors.

This feeling in regard to the place of rowing as an amateur sport has now taken form in the organization of the "American Rowing Association," with plans frankly based on the English "Henley." The government is vested in a Board of Stewards who have entire control of the regatta. This plan of organization differs radically from that at present in vogue in other associations in this country; but it is believed that this form of government will do much to relieve the Board from politics and internal dissention. The members of this Board do not officially represent any university or boat club, but have been chosen solely because their interest and knowledge of rowing. The Board is a self-perpetuative body and will thus be able to maintain its own standard irrespective of the views of those who may contest in its regattas. Moreover, it will have the power to reject any entry without assigning a reason, and is thus protected from the necessity of entering into those bitter controversial discussions which do so much hurt to amateur sport. The first meeting of the Board of Stewards was held in New York on May 10, and it was decided to hold the first regatta on the Schuylkill at Philadelphia, in July, 1903. The Board of Stewards consists of the following men: From Cambridge, Professor Ira N. Hollis; from Boston, F. L. Higginson, Jr., '00, E. C. Storrow '89, R. P. Blake '94, Dr. Hugh Cabot '94, W. P. Hender- son; from Philadelphia, Thomas Heath, William Innis Forbes, Charles S.W. Packard, Dr. James P. Hutchinson '90, Dr. J. William White, Edson F. Gallaudet; from Ithaca, Professor W. F. Durand; from New York, Julian W. Curtiss, Henry S. Van Duzer '75, Dr. John A. Hartwell; from Detroit, Dr. A. H. Flickwir.

Any further information may be obtained from W. P. Henderson, 31 Beacon street, Boston, Mass