Reasons for Reorganization.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The discussion in the columns of the CRIMSON about the plan for incorporating the Harvard Co-operative Society has been confined to that very small part of the members who take interest enough in the affairs of the Society to come to the annual meeting. The vast majority of the members have not been heard from. These men join the Society because it is a convenient place in Cambridge at which to purchase most of the supplies that students need. They want quick, intelligent service, convenience in getting what they need and the chance to buy goods at lower prices than obtain elsewhere. They do not want to take an active part in the management of the Society. The clearest proof of this is the insignificant attendance at the annual meetings; the greatest changes in personnel of the Board of Directors and in questions of policy have been brought about by twenty or twenty-five men as those meetings; a number hardly to be considered as representative of the Society at large.

The average member, if he gets his membership fee and perhaps a little more returned to him at the end of the year, cares not a particle for the "Co-operative Principles" but he is unwilling that nay sentimental consideration for the Co-operative movement should risk the great University branch of service which has grown up here. The Society is from his point of view a profit sharing, trading concern; practical business reasons urge its immediate incorporation. S. CUNNINGHAM JR.

Member of the Board from the Graduate School.