Christian Association Reception.

Several hundred Freshmen attended the annual reception given by the Christian Association in Phillips Brooks House yesterday evening. After they had been received and introduced by upperclassmen, O. G. Frantz '03 welcomed them in a brief address and then introduced Dean Hurlbut as the first speaker. Harvard, said Mr. Hurlbut, means much more than learning; it means life. The glory of the University springs from the men who have been here and left the heritage of their illustrious names. What the graduate asks of the men who come to the University is that they may come to keep up Harvard's splendid traditions through some definite work and achievment of their own in whatever one of the scholastic or literary or athletic activities the College life presents.

G. E. Huggins, the next speaker, dwelt chietly upon the work of the Chris- tian Association. The Association, he said, makes it possible for men in College to learn at first hand of the struggle and almost the despair of life among the less fortunate classes, and to develop the spirit of self sacrifice in service to those much in need of help.

The next speaker, M. T. Lightner '03, emphasized the point that while men are coming out for athletics and other college activities, they should not forget to come out for their principles as well.

J. W. Farley 3L., was the next speaker. He said that those beginning life here must preserve their own independence, and recognize the right of independence in others. The college man tries to develop all sides of his nature, and at all times he should remember that the best of what he will get at college will be the friendships he may form.

Bishop Lawrence then spoke, dwelling chiefly on the necessity of a wise use of Sunday. A man's religion and faith, he said, will undergo as much change during his college course as his mind and body. Every man should have some time to think seriously of these subjects. O. G. Frantz, the final speaker, said that at no college is the Freshman class held in so much honor as at Harvard. It shoud acquit itself accordingly.

Refreshments were served after the speaking had been finished