Excellent Tennis Results.

HAVERFORD, Sept. 29, 1902.--The first round of the intercollegiate tennis tournament played at Haverford, Pennsylvania this morning and afternoon, resulted very favorably for the Harvard team, which won all of its matches, both in the singles and doubles. In the singles, W. J. Clothier '04 defeated Larned of Princeton, 6-4, 6-1, and Mahan of Columbia, 7-5,4-6,6-2; R. Bishop 2L., defeated Swaim of Pennsylvania, 6-2, 8-6; W. S. Warland '03 defeated Collset of Pennsylvania, 6-1, 6-4. In the doubles, Clothier and E. W. Leonard '03 defeated Swaim and Collset, 6-3, 6-2; Warland and Bishop defeated Schley and Lewis of Yale, 6-3, 6-4.

Other matches in the tournament resulted as follows: Singles--Thurber of Columbia defeated Schley, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3; Lewis defeated Buckwalter of Pennsylvania, 6-4, 6-3; I. C. Wright of Princeton defeated Condict, 6-1, 6-2; B. Wright '03 defeated F. Alexander of Princeton in exhibition singles, 7-5, 6-4. Doubles -- Wright and Larned, Princeton vs. Plummer and Condict, Yale, in an unfinished match, 6-3, 5-5.