December Graduates' Magazine.

The Graduates' Magazine for December is filled with intelligent discussion of our University problems, apt bits of Harvard history and other pleasantly written articles of special value to college men.

In an article entitled "Sport or Business?" W. James, Jr., '03, treats the athletic question from the point of view of one who believes that Harvard athletics are losing the true spirit of amateur sport through making "frantic attempts to beat Yale." This question is of such general interest, and is so ably dealt with in this article, that any condensed summary of its contents must be unsatisfactory. It will be taken up at length in a future issue of the CRIMSON.

In "Harvard's First Scholars, 1850-1859," Mr. W. R. Thayer '81, recapitulates briefly the occupations and deeds of the first ten students, in the classes for those years. Such an article bearing on the never settled question of academic distinctions in college as an earnest of future services, is always of interest. An article by Professor Kuno Francke on "Emperor William's Gift to Harvard," is a reprint of his speech delivered at the opening exercises of the Germanic Museum, November 10. "From a Graduate's Window: Contrasts Pleasant or Otherwise," presents strikingly the in-adequacy of the salaries of Harvard professors of today and fifty years ago.

To those who wish to gain an insight into the life of Harvard men of two centuries ago, "The Earliest Description of Harvard" will appeal strongly. "Culture," by H. H. Furness '54, an extract from a commencement oration delivered at the University of Pennsylvania last June, is full of well phrased and cogent suggestions.

The complete report of the Graduate Manager of Athletics for the year 1902-1903 is given under "Athletics," by S. A. Welldon '04. A few short articles and five illustrations complete the number. Among the illustrations may be mentioned the portraits of Major H. L. Higginson h.'82, A. Agassiz '55, and Professor LeB. R. Briggs '75, all of which are exceptionally good.