Learned Societies Conventions.

During the Christmas recess a number of American associations of learning will hold meetings in various cities, and at nearly all of them the University will be represented by members of the Faculty and graduates.

The Modern Language Association will hold its twenty-first annual meeting at Ann Arbor, Michigan, on December 28, 29 and 30, and the American Dialect Society will also meet in Ann Arbor at the same time. Professor C. H. Grandgent '83 will represent Harvard at these meetings.

December 29 to 31, the American Historical Association will hold its nineteenth annual meeting in New Orleans. Professor C. H. Haskins, Professor A. B. Hart '80, Professor A. C. Coolidge '87, and probably Professor E. Emerton '71, will be present. Professor Haskins, corresponding secretary of the Association, will read a paper on "Sermons as Sources of Mediaeval History," and Professor Hart will discuss the "Latest Phases of the West Florida Controversy."

The American Economic Association will also hold its annual meeting in New Orleans December 29 to 31. Professors T. N. Carver and A. P. Andrew '95, will attend from Harvard. Joint meetings with the American Historical Association will take place on December 29 and 31.

The Archaeological Institute of America will meet at Adelbert College of the Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, on December 29, 30, and 31. Professor J. H. Wright, in conjunction with Miss Alicia M. Keyes, will present a paper entitled "Notes on Titian's Relations to his Literary Authorities in his Painting of Mythological Subjects," and Dr. Charles Peabody '90, will speak on "The Archaeological Explorations of 1903 in the Foothills of the Ozark Mountains, undertaken by the Phillips-Andover Academy."

The American Philosophical Association will meet at Princeton on December 28, 29 and 30. Professor J. Royce, president of the Association, and Professor G. Santayana '86, will be present. Professor Santayana will read a paper on "The Place of Aesthetics in Philosophy."

On December 28 and 29, the American Mathematical Society will hold its annual meeting at Columbia University Professor W. F. Osgood '86 will be the representative from Harvard.

The American Folk Lore Society will meet in the Peabody Museum, Cambridge on Tuesday, December 29. Dr. R. B. Dixon '79M. will read a paper on "The Shamans of Northern California."

The following societies will meet in Philadelphia during the recess: On December 29, 30 and 31 the American Association of Anatomists and the Society for Plant Morphology and Physiology; on December 29 and 30, the Society of American Bacteriologists; and on December 29, the American Association of Zoologists--Eastern Branch. Professor G. H. Parker '87, Professor C. S. Minot '78, Dr. F. T. Lewis '97, Professor T. Dwight '66, Professor W. T. Porter, and Dr. W. B. Cannon '96, will attend the conventions in Philadelphia.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science and the afiliated societies will meet in St. Louis from De- cember 28 to January 2. The following Harvard men will be present at many of these meetings; Professor W. Trelease, Professor W. D. Bancroft, Professor C. M. Woodward, Professor G. B. Shattuck, Professor E. H. Hall, Professor E. L. Mark, Professor H. P. Bowditch, Professor S. Newcomb, Professor W. M. Davis, Judge S. E. Baldwin, Dr. R. B. Dixen, Dr. S. F. Emmons and Dr. H. B. Ward