Development of Class Crews.

The development of the class crews at both the Newell and the Weld clubs has so far been unusually slow and unsatisfactory. With the interclub class races less than two weeks off, it seems certain that all the crews will have to improve greatly in the short time that remains in order to make a creditable showing.

The work of the Senior crews have so far been rather lifeless. The Weld crew is, perhaps, a trifle the faster and rows better together. The Weld Juniors have the common fault of not finishing the stroke well and are also slow at the catch. The Newell Juniors have a tendency to rush their slides and also hang at the catch. Irregularity in attendance has been harmful to the Weld Sophomores. They nevertheless row well together, but fail to get a powerful and finished stroke. The Newell Sophomores are making a fair showing, but have most of the faults noticeable in the other crews. The Freshmen at both clubs have been slow in developing owing to the fact that they have suffered frequent changes in order. A number of the best men are on probation and for this reason it has been necessary to fill their places with poorer material. Both crews have improved slowly, but are still poor in their watermanship.

The graduates and the crews they are coaching are as follows: Newell Seniors, J. Lawrence '01; Weld Seniors, H. Bancroft '97; Newell Juniors, J. F. Perkins 3L.; Weld Juniors, E. C. Boardman '99; Newell Sophomores, H. Bullard '02; Weld Sophomores, J. H. Perkins '98. Vail has coached the Newell, and Wray the Weld, Freshmen.