ENGLISH WIN CHESS MATCH.

Deciding Game Adjudicated by Pillsbury in Favor of English Player.

The sixth and deciding game in the fifth annual cable chess match between Oxford and Cambridge, and Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia, was yesterday awarded by Mr. H. N. Pillsbury to the English universities which thereby win the match by the score of 3 1-2 games to 2 1-2.

Mr. Pillsbury, who represented the American team in London, was appointed to adjudicate the unfinished game between Bridgman and Brown, but as the position was very intricate he did not announce his decision until yesterday. The score up till then was even and his decision in favor of Brown, the Cambridge player, gave the match to the English players by one game.

By winning this match, the English universities regain temporary possession of the permanent trophy, a silver shield given by Mr. I. L. Rice. The trophy is at present at the rooms of the Boston Athletic Association.

The summary of the match is as follows: AMERICANS.  ENGLISH. Rice (H.),  1/2  Webb (C.),  1/2 Sewall (C.),  1  Bateman (C.),  0 Sawin (Y.),  0  Davidson (O.),  1 *Rich'd'n (P.)  1  Roome (O.),  0 Keeler (C.),  0  Bumpus (O.),  1 *Bridg'm (H.),  0  Brown (C.),  1 Totals,  2 1/2    3 1/2

*Adjudicated by Mr. H. N. Pillsbury.

*Adjudicated by Mr. H. N. Pillsbury.