Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line
At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions
Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists
‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam
‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6
Professor Henry Barker Hill '69, Director of the Chemical Laboratory, died yesterday morning at his home, 17 Hammond street, after a sudden, violent illness of five days. The funeral services will be held in Appleton Chapel at 2 o'clock tomorrow and will be conducted by Rev. James Eells of Boston. The Chemical Laboratory will be closed during the entire day.
Professor Hill was born in Waltham on April 27, 1849. His father was Thomas Hill, president of Harvard from 1862 to 1868. After graduating from Harvard in the class of 1869 Professor Hill went to Europe and studied for a year at the University of Berlin. In 1870 he returned to Cambridge and became an assistant in the Chemical Laboratory. In 1874 he was made assistant professor of chemistry, and in 1884 professor of chemistry. At the death of Professor J. P. Cooke, Director of the Chemical Laboratory, in 1894, Professor Hill succeeded him as Director. During his term of service, he has almost entirely remodelled the interior of the Laboratory, installing in it many convenient and ingenious arrangements. Professor Hill has written a great number of valuable papers on organic chemistry, as well as a book, "Lecture Notes on Qualitative Analysis." He was a member of the National Academy of Sciences and a fellow of the American Academy.
He leaves a widow and one son, E. B. Hill '94.
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.