CREW HAS TIME ROW

New Shell Used for First Time at New London.

RED Top, GALES FERRY, June 8.--After Sunday's rest the University eight went over the four-mile course for a time row this afternoon with tide and a slight wind in their favor, and covered the course in 22m. 30s., about the same time as on Saturday. This morning the University and Freshman eights had a brush for half a mile in rough water, and the Freshmen won by about a length. In paddling down to the mark to start for the time row this afternoon, the University crew showed much better form than they have so far on the Thames, the prevalent hitch between strokes being hardly noticeable. For the first two miles of the time row the Freshman eight rowed with the University crew and kept about even with them except for a spurt at the finish, which put them slightly in the lead. While with the freshmen, the University crew, rowing about 30 strokes to the minute, showed a tendency to shorten the stroke, and many individual faults were emphasized. For the other two miles the men were a little more settled and rowed in somewhat better form, but they still rushed forward badly. The four-oared rowed this afternoon with Ober at bow and Webster at 2. The new Davy shell was used for the first time on the Thames today and caused considerable unsteadiness.