Criticism of January Monthly.

By Barrett Wenbill.

The January number of the Harvard Monthly is of the kind which is pleasant to remember. Whoever has kept files of this only undergraduate publication which pretends to serious literary purpose must have grown aware of how well the volumes hold their own. The pages are not apt to be instantly brilliant; but in many ways they prove to have a quality not quite ephemeral.

The strongest articles in the present number take the form of literary criticism. Mr. R. M. Green who graduated two years ago, writes sympathetically of "Two Academic Poets;" Mr. R. B. Perry reviews Professor Palmer's "Nature of Goodness;" and Mr. Bell discusses "The Harvard Story," in a manner which would be a shade more happy if he did not describe Mr. Wister's "Philosophy 4" as a "booklet." The story by Mr. Hagedorn has more atmosphere than one often finds in that kind of thing nowa-days; and the amateurish "Ballad of the Trent,'" has promising simplicity, and vigor of movement. Perhaps the most significant article, however, is that which urges a new course. The writer is of opinion that Harvard men do not write good short stories; and with the artless assumption, so characteristic of our present system, that no one can learn anything without taking a course in it, he urges that a special course in short stories be instituted here. If he had incidentally pointed out a single instance when such a special course, in any subject, anywhere, had ever resulted in practical achievement his case might be stronger. Whoever wishes to write short stories must learn to do so not by studying them, but by attempting them. The two attempts in this number --though neither is masterly--will teach their writers far more than all the academic study imaginable could.