UNIVERSITY ROWING PLANS.

Candidates Commence Work Next Tuesday.-- Harvard and Yale Prospects.

The University crew squad will begin winter practice on the rowing machines at the University boathouse on February 2. The squad will consist of the following twenty-five men: M. R. Brownell 2L., L. Burchard '06, H. G. Dillingham '04, J. P. B. Duffy 3L., P. W. Flint '06, R. Foster '04, C. A. Hartwell 1L., R. Haycock 1L., A. C. Judd '06, F. C. Kellogg '06, C. Lawson '05, D. Lloyd '04, K. Moller '06, H. C. Ober '05, R. F. Pleasanton '06, W. C. Richmond '05, R. Sanger '04, O. N. Shepard '06, W. Shuebruk 3L., E. E. Smith 1L., L. T. Swaim '05, G. Switzer '06, J. D. Tew '05, H. B. Webster '05, J. L. White '06.

Mr. F. D. Colson, who will coach the University crew this year, is expected to arrive in Cambridge on February 2.

It is very difficult now to forecast the prospects of the University crew for this year, but with the large number of experienced men who have returned to College, and the abundance of other good material which is available the outlook for a strong crew seems to be unusually favorable.

Of last year's University eight and four-oar, D. D. L. McGrew, F. W. C. Foster, E. George, S. H. Wolcott, and R. Derby have been lost by graduation. The following men, with the positions and the crews they rowed on, have returned to the University: J. P. B. Duffy 3L., five on the 1903 eight, H. G. Dillingham '04, stroke on the 1903 four-oar, J. B. Ayer 1M., three on the 1903 four-oar and five on the 1902 eight, M. R. Brownell 2L., stroke on the 1901 and the 1902 four-oar, O. D. Filley '06, six on the 1903 eight, C. Lawson '05, seven on the 1903 eight, H. C. Ober '05, bow on the 1903 four-oar, H. B. Webster '05, two on the 1903 four-oar, W. Shuebruk 3L., four on the 1900 and 1901 and six on the 1902 crew, and L. T. Swaim '05, bow on the 1903 eight.

Besides these there are L. Burchard, P. W. Flint, A. C. Judd, F. C. Kellogg, R. F. Pleasanton, G. Switzer, and J. L. White of last year's Freshman crew, as well as, W. C. Richmond '05, stroke on the 1905 Freshman crew, R. Sanger '04, four on the 1904 Freshman crew, O. N. Shepard '06, stroke on the 1906 Freshman four-oar, E. E. Smith 1L., bow on the 1902 four-oar, J. D. Tew '05, stroke on the 1905 Freshman crew, C. A. Hartwell 1L., substitute on the 1903 four-oar D. Lloyd '04, substitute on the 1904 Freshman crew, K. Moller '06, who rowed on the 1906 Freshman four-oar, R. Foster '04, substitute on the 1904 Freshman crew, and R. Haycock 1L.

Of the Yale University eight last year, Cross 7, Miller 6, and Whittier 5, and of the four-oar, Adams Stroke, and Fish 2, have returned. Besides these the following men of the 1906 freshman crew, Whiting, stroke, Chase 5, Scott 4, Morse 3, and Swensen 2, as well as Shore '04, Meyer '05, Bailey '04S, and Blagden '04S, are regarded as strong candidates for the vacant positions. A first crew, selected last Saturday, is rowing on the machines in the following order: Stroke, Whitney; 7, Cross; 6, Muttier; 5, Chase; 4, Scott; 3, Morse; 2, Blagden; bow, Swenson.