HARVARD, 11; BATES, 0

Bates Faster Than the University Team, Repeated Fumbling.

The University football team defeated Bates College yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field by a score of 11 to 0. The extremely adverse conditions of weather and field in some measure account for the small score. On the other hand, the light Bates eleven unquestionably got the start of the University team during most of the game. As has been the case in all of the games played thus far, the Harvard eleven showed extreme weakness in defensive work at the beginning of the game, with the result that Bates, in sixteen line-plunges through White at centre and McFadon and Carr on the right side of the line, netted a gain of 51 yards during the first few minutes of play.

Fumbling, especially by the University team, was frequent throughout the game, owing in some degree to the slipperiness of the ball and the wet field. The difficulty of the backs in keeping their footing on end plays made gains of that kind few and forced the University team to rely on rushes through the line. Once, however, on a fake kick, Reynolds took the ball around left end for a 23-yard gain. The line plunging of Mills, a the head of the diagonal formation, was again to be depended upon for consistent gains.

The Bates team rushed the ball for first down eleven times and was held for downs once, toward the close of the second half. Bates was penalized 15 yards for holding and Harvard 10 yards for offside play.

Harvard made two touchdowns, one in each half. The first was made by Mills on an attack at centre, from the 1-yard line, after the ball had been rushed with steady gains for over 85 yards. Noyes missed the goal. The second touchdown also was secured by Mills on a line-ply from the 1-2 yard line. Noyes kicked an easy goal.

The summary: HARVARD.  BATES. Filley, Whitman, Jones, l.e.  r.e., Messenger Meier, Paul, l.t.  r.t., Schumacker Parker, l.g.  r.g., Turner White, Barney, c.  c., Thurston, Foster McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Johnson Carr, r.t.  l.t., Reed Shurtleff, Leary, Hall, r.e.  l.e., Mahoney Noyes, Kernan, q.b.  q.b., Wight Wendell, Nesmith, r.h.b  l.h.b., Lord Reynolds, Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Kendall Mills, Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Conner

Score--Harvard, 11; Bates College, 0. Touchdowns--Mills 2. Goals--Noyes 1. Referee--G. Murchie '95. Umpire--W. Hoag '94. Linesmon--S. Wilder '05; Merry, Bates. Timekeeper--John Graham. Time--Two 15-minute halves.