The First Lampoon.

The first number of the Lampoon does not entirely satisfy the expectations aroused by long waiting. On the cover, the old "Hello!" or "Back Again!" idea is made original by the expression of a mild humor in the drawing, which is characteristic of that impressionistic style lately evident in the Lampoon. Sometimes, as on the present cover, this manner of drawing is interesting--more often, as on pages 11 and 12, it is tiresome. Both of the editorials are very readable, and show novelty in treatment, though not in subject. Of the drawings, by far the best is that of the automobiles on page 13. Here--refreshing to Lampoon readers -- the dialogue and the illustration go hand in hand, and each adds to the effect of the other. The centre-page fails to take advantage of the possibilities of an excellent idea. The old age of a joke on page 16 suggests the inquiry, "Who had the face to do it?" A large proportion of the minor articles are disappointing--many of the rest, however, are distinctly worth while, and leave a good impression.