ENCOURAGING WORK

University Eleven Scored Five Touchdowns in Practice Yesterday.

The secret practice of the University football squad yesterday afternoon from 3 to 4 o'clock was devoted to running through signals. The open practice which immediately followed consisted of a 22-minute line-up between the first and second teams, in which the first team showed great strength both in offensive and defensive play. Five touchdowns were scored by the first team, three of which were made on excellent 15-yard line plunges. The only change from Wednesday in the line-up of the first eleven was the substitution of White at left guard in place of McFadon. T. Meier, who has not played during the past week, owing to injuries, engaged in the last half of yesterday's scrimmage at right tackle on the first team. The aggressive work of Hurley, Mills, Sperry and Hanley, in the back field of the first eleven was remarkably fast and effective, the long end runs of Hurley being especially noteworthy. The work of the University eleven in the matter of running in punts and kick-offs was exceptionally good yesterday. Randall and Mills made excellent runs on the kick-off, the former once advancing the ball 35 yards and the latter 25 yards. During the last half of the scrimmage, in order to furnish the first team defensive practice, the ball was given to the second team on the first's 15-yard line. The first eleven, in ten rushes, not only held the second eleven but even forced them back for a loss of 9 yards. Sperry's punting was fairly good. In every exchange of kicks with the second team he netted a gain of at least 15 yards. On the kick-off and in goal kicking, Brill was strong and reliable.

The second team opened the scrimmage by kicking to the 5-yard line to Mills, who advanced the ball to the 25-yard line. Hurley and Kernan secured 45 yards on end runs and then Hurley broke through, outside of tackle, for the first touchdown. The second touchdown was made by Mills on a short line attack, after the ball had been carried with consistent advances from the centre of the field. Mills also made the third score, going over from the 5-yard line. The last two touchdowns were made by Hurley and Hanley respectively, the former scoring on a 15-yard run outside right tackle and the latter on a 10-yard plunge after breaking through the line.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Randall, l.e.  r.e., Pruyn Brill, Davie, l.t.  r.t., Russell White, l.g.  r.g., Pell, Upham Parkinson, Cunniff, c.  c., Fraser, Pell Squires, r.g.  l.g., Peirce Oveson, T. Meier, r.t.  l.t., Corbett Leary, Whitman, r.e.  l.e., Jackson, C. Meier Kernan, q.b.  q.b., Brennick, Mahoney Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Myers Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Mason, Foster Mills, Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Dearborn, Jenkins