CONDITIONS IN FAR EAST

Addresses on Political and Social Situation in Orient.

At a meeting held in Phillips Brooks House last evening E. C. Carter '00, G. M. Fisher and F. S. Brockman, national secretaries of the Young Men's Christian Association, in India, Japan and China, respectively, spoke on the changed political and social conditions in the Far East, the unusual opportunity now presented for educational and missionary work there, and the part that Harvard men may take in supplying this demand. R. H. Bollard '05, described the plan that has been formulated for arousing general interest in the situation in the East, for sending men from the University to do educational and mission work, and for supporting them.

Mr. Brockman said China is the most misunderstood nation in the world. The Chinese are a masterful race. They have a literature considered by some thinkers to be not second to that of Greece, an educational system which is in some respects--notably in the education of public officials by the state--a model for others, and a religion which until the last three of four years has seemed an impregnable fortress. Since the Boxer war, however, the attitude of the literati has rapidly changed from hostility to interest and confidence in occidentals and their civilization. The Chinese are looking for another religion and are modernizing their education. Western influence must operate through the educated class, and the strategic points are the cities.

Mr. Fisher next told how Young Men's Christian Associations have been established in the Japanese army through co-operation of certain government officials. These associations endeavor to minister to the physical, social and moral needs of the soldiers in camps on the main lines of supply, and thus a large part of the troops come into contact with them. The effect will be to spread Western ideas among the peasant class from whom the soldiers come.

Moral standards, Mr. Fisher said, are among the higher classes almost on a par with those of any Western nation. The mass of people, however, are largely lacking in moral control. Hence the significance of the common soldiers' contact with the Christian Associations. The destruction of feudalism took away with other restraints moral restraint on the masses of people. Japan is thus in as moral as well as political crisis. Its result will depend largely on the West, to which Japan is looking for leadership. In conclusion, the speaker called attention to the opportunity for influencing the destiny of Japan which is presented to University men who go to teach English in the government colleges.

The next speaker, Mr. Mott, emphasized the fact that Western impress on the East must be made through the young men of the countries in question. He gave many illustrations of the active support given the Christian Associations by army and other departmental officers, particularly in India. Forty-four men-four of them Harvard men--from the universities of Europe, the United States and Canada have charge of the establishment and conduct of Associations in India, China and Japan.

E. C. Cartor '00, who is about to return to India, spoke last. He said that the idea that a man who goes to the East makes a great personal sacrifice is ridiculous. India is a thoroughly modern country in respect to democratic government, and railroad, mail and other facilities. The Western teacher or missionary be side has to make no apology for his errand. On the contrary, he found in India a thirst for the fundamental principles of Christian of civilization and religion. More calls than he could fill came to him from high class Hindoos for lectures on Christianity