SANDERS THEATRE RECEPTION

Summary of Addresses by President Eliot and Other Speakers.

Several hundred men attended the annual Faculty reception to new students held in Sanders Theatre last night. Dean Shaler presided and introduced the following speakers: President Eliot, Professor Goodwin, Professor Fenn and R. H. Oveson '05.

Oveson was the first speaker. He emphasized the importance of cordial relations with one's classmates, of finding out the best that is in a man, and of rising above the narrowness of any one club or society in College. He impressed upon new men the value of the Union as the hearthstone of Harvard.

Professor Fenn, the next speaker, in speaking of friendships, warned men from drawing away by themselves, out of contact with other men.

Professor Goodwin next spoke in a reminiscent vein, and described the College and its life of fifty years ago, contrasting it with that of today.

He was followed by President Eliot, the last speaker. President Eliot characterized the best Harvard man as the gentleman who is also a democrat. Two requisites for a gentleman, he said, are quiet tastes, and a disposition to see the superiorities in people and to desire association with one's superiors. Then, too, a gentleman should be generous, a thing not incompatible with being poor in money. Life should conform to one's resources. A real gentleman will always be considerate of those whom he employs, and above all he will never do anything injurious to a creature weaker than himself. As a democratic gentleman, too, he must be effective, efficient, a power in the world as a worker, an organizer. The gentleman will also be deferential to age, to excellencies, to all things worthy.