FALL HANDICAP GAMES

Freshmen Made Fair Showing.--Weather Conditions Perfect but Track Soft.

The University fall handicap track games were held on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The weather conditions were perfect but the track was rather soft on account of the thawing of Sunday night's frost. In both track and field events the performances were very encouraging. The Freshman candidates made a fairly good showing, obtaining three first places, one second and two thirds.

The most closely contested race was the two-mile run. P. Woodman '08, with a handicap of 200 yards, led for the first two laps but coming into the stretch on the third lap, was passed by C. J. Jackman '06, with a handicap of 175 yards. R. Grant 4M., scratch, overtook Jackman on the fourth lap and thereafter set the pace, finally winning by 5 yards in 10 minutes, 8 seconds. W. G. Howard '07, with a handicap of 80 yards, was about 10 yards behind Jackman.

In the final heat of the 100-yard dash O. F. Rogers '08, with a handicap of 4 yards, won a very close race from H. K. Craft '07, with a handicap of four yards.

The 440-yard run was also very close. C. A. Haskell '06, with a handicap of 15 yards, led until the last 5 yards when T. B. Dorman '06, scratch, came in on the inside and crossed the line a few feet in the lead.

Neither the mile nor the 880-yard run was very closely contested. S. C. Dickinson '05, with a handicap of 125 feet, was never overtaken in the mile run and crossed the line 30 yards ahead of A. S. Cobb '07, scratch: In the 880-yard run R. F. Hamwatt '06, with a handicap of 25 yards, led for the first lap but was then passed by C. Brinsmade '07, with a handicap of 10 yards.

Both the high and the low hurdles were run in fast time. R. E. Nason 2L., with a handicap of 3 yards, won the high hurdles in 17 1-5 seconds, by barely defeating G. S. Morrison 3Dn., who started 5 yards back of the line. The low hurdles were won by W. McPherson '07, with a handicap of 6 yards, in 26 3-5 seconds. J. F. Doyle '07, scratch, who was rapidly overtaking McPherson, was unable to recover his stride after clearing the last hurdle.

The best performance in the field events was made by F. H. Schoenfuss '05, scratch, who put the shot 45 feet, 11 inches. The broad jump was well contested as three men cleared over 21 feet. There was no hammer-throw event, as F. H. Schoenfuss '05, was the only contestant to report.

The summary is as follows:

Track Events.

120-yard hurdles--Won by R. E. Nason 2L., 3 yds.; second, G. S. Morrison 3Dn., 5 yds. back of scratch; third, H. Taylor '06, 1 yd. Time, 17 1-5 s.

100-yard. dash--Won by O. F. Rogers '08, 4 yds.; second, H. K. Craft '07, 4 yds.; third, H. C. Schwab '08, 3 yds. Time, 10 s.

880-yard run--Won. by C. Brinsmade '07, 10 yds.; second, R. F. Hamwatt '06, 25 yds.; third, H. A. Mumma '07, 35 yds. Time, 2 m. 2 s.

440-yard run--Won by T. B. Dorman '06, scratch; second, C. A. Haskell '06, 15 yds.; third, F. H. Davis '07, 10 yds. Time, 52 1-5 s.

220-yard dash--Won by H. K. Craft '07, 6 yds.; second, C. P. Noble, Jr., '08, 6 yds.; third, H. C. Schwab '08, 5 yds. Time, 23 s.

220-yard hurdles--Won by W. McPherson '07, 6 yds.; second, J. F. Doyle '07, scratch; third, G. S. Morrison 3Dn., scratch. Time, 26 3-5 s.

Mile run--Won by S. C. Dickinson '05, 125 yds.; second, A. S. Cobb '07, 50 yds.; third, L. Strauss '06, 125 yds. Time, 4 m. 30 2-5 s.

Two-mile run--Won by R. Grant 4M., scratch; second, C. J. Jackman '06, 175 yds.; third, W. G. Howard '07, 80 yds. Time, 10 m. 8 s.

Field Events.

Pole vault--Won by M. Wells '08, 1 ft.; second, P. E. Wye '06, 1 ft. Height, 9 ft. 6 in.

Putting 16-pound shot--Won by F. H. Schoenfuss '05, scratch; second, A. Peterson 1Dv., 6 ft.; third, E. J. Ford '05, 6 ft. Distance, 45 ft. 11 in.

Broad jump--Won by H. Taylor '06, 2 in.; second, E. J. Ford '05, 4 in.; third, W. Soule '06, 3 in. Height, 5 ft. 9 1-2 in.

Broad jump--Won by H. Taylor '06, 2 ft.; second, T. W. Knauth '07, 2 ft. 6 in.; third, O. Rigby Sp., 2 ft. Distance, 21 ft. 7 1-2 in