Fourth Lecture by Mr. Bryce.

The Rt. Hon. James Bryce, M.P., gave the fourth of the Godkin lectures last evening in Sanders Theatre, on "The Study of Popular Governments."

Continuing his review of the various popular governments which he began in the last lecture, Mr. Bryce said that the republics of South America are of little importance since they are really only republics in name. Some of them have secured permanent governments and are steadily improving, but the greater number are merely military despotisms.

Special conditions have made the government of the Swiss Confederation entirely different from that of any other country. External pressure by stronger powers has welded the country together, patriotism is highly developed, the people have long been accustomed to self-government, and, finally, the general equality of economic conditions renders popular government easy. Party feeling is remarkably small in the country and all its politics are singularly free from bribery and corruption.

France has had a short experience in self-government and the sharp religious divisions of the country have hampered its rulers. At present there are a good representative system, honest elections on the whole and a fair judiciary, but the government is too centralized and still has a certain element of instability.

A gradual and peaceful change has placed the people of England in control of their government so that, it is now virtually a democracy. Its representative system is good, the elections are pure, good men are brought into the government service and responsibility is fixed in a perfect manner. The judiciary is upright and independent and the civil service is efficient and outside of political influences. The English system is suited, however, for only two parties. For the last few years the powers of the House of Commons have been declining and at the same time the cost of obtaining and keeping a seat in this body has increased. England is ruled chiefly by its traditions and its great safeguard is in the good feeling between its social classes.

Mr. Bryce will give the fifth and last lecture of the series on Thursday evening, instead of on Wednesday, as previously announced.