HARVARD, 28; HOLY CROSS, 5

Unsatisfactory Game Due to Large Number of Substitutes in Line-up.

The University football team defeated Holy Cross Saturday afternoon on Soldiers Field by the score of 28 to 5.

Despite the fact that the University team succeeded in making five touchdowns, the game was on the whole not very satisfactory, for it showed that there are still many weak points in the Harvard team. The comparatively poor showing, however, may in some degree be attributed to the large number of substitutes who were in the line-up during the greater part of the game.

On the defense the University team was frequently thrown back by the lighter and faster Holy Cross team, and only twice during the whole game did the ball go to Harvard on downs. The offense showed some improvement, both in individual and in team play, as a result of the special attention which has been given to it by the coaches during the past week. The punting was encouraging, especially that of Nichols, who made several long kicks against the wind. Sperry's work in kicking also showed improvement. The best punt in the game was made by him in the second half, when he sent the ball a distance of 58 yards.

The work of the ends in getting down the field under kicks was better than in previous games, and as a result Holy Cross was not able to run the ball in any considerable distance. In the open, Randall was easily the most reliable end, and made several excellent dive-tackles. Matthews, who replaced him toward the end of the game, also played well. In the backfield Foster was clearly the strongest player on the offense. He hit the Holy Cross line with such force and speed that he was able to gain his distance almost every time, and in eight plays just outside tackle he made several gains of from 15 to 30 yards each. At quarterback both Starr and Noyes played well. Starr again proved a most reliable tackler in the open field.

Holy Cross's only score was made in the first half on a play that netted a gain of 92 yards. The ball was passed to Reed on his own 18-yard line, and breaking through the Harvard team he started down the field ahead of his interference. On Harvard's 45-yard line he was downed by Starr, but as he fell he dropped the ball and Connors, who was just behind him, got it and ran down the field for the touchdown. There was much penalizing during the game, each team losing 20 yards for offside play and Holy Cross being penalized 15 yards for interference with a fair catch. The summary. HARVARD.  HOLY CROSS. Randall, Matthews, l.e.  r.e., Murphy Oveson, Paul, l.t.  r.t., C. O'Donnell, O'Toole Schoenfuss, White, l.g.  r.g., E. O'Donnell Parkinson, Cunniff, c.  c., Callanan Squires, McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Palloti Derby, Davy, Jones, r.t.  l.t., Naughton Pruyn, Leatherbee, r.e.  l.e., Connors Starr, Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Larkin Sperry, Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Reed, Ford Foster, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Campbell Hanley, Osborne, f.b.  f.b., McManus, C. O'Donnell

Score--Harvard, 28; Holy Cross, 5. Touchdowns--Hanley 3, Foster, Nichols, Connors. Goals--Sperry, Nichols 2. Umpire--F. Burleigh, Worcester. Referee--G. Murchie, Harvard. Linesmen H. Kernan '05 and O'Connor, Holy Cross. Timekeeper--R. Waters, Harvard. Time--25-minute halves.