Lecture by Professor DuBois.

Professor W. E. B. DuBois '90 of Atlanta, Georgia, spoke in the Union last evening on "The Transplanting of the Race, 1442-1860," dealing with certain historical and present phases of the negro problem.

Slavery and the slave trade, Professor DuBois said, began with the appearance at Lisbon in 1442 of 30 negro slaves These excited the cupidity of the Portuguese traders, who realized the superiority of negro labor over Indian labor in working the gold mines of America. The slave trade was then successively taken up by the Dutch, the English, and finally in 1807 by the Americans, the transportation of slaves growing from several thousand in 1450 to over 60,000 in 1790. The present condition of the negro race is due in great measure to the past terrible brutality of the slave traders and unless the race is given the inspiration to rise, the very foundations of government are endangered. In conclusion, the speaker explained the present crop-lien system in the south whereby crops are mortgaged while growing, and stated that the remedy of this evil lies in the complete ownership of land by the negro.