TECHNOLOGY WON FENCING

Results by Bouts: M. I. T., 18; U. of P., 14; Yale, 12; Harvard, 10.

The intercollegiate fencing tournament, held at the Hemenway Gymnasium last evening, was won by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with 18 bouts, Pennsylvania being second, with 14, Yale third, with 12, and Harvard last, with 10 bouts won out of a possible 27.

Lage and Gatewood, of Technology, divided the individual honors, Lage winning all of his nine bouts, and Gatewood eight out of a possible nine. Captain Holmes and A. Tyng of the University team made an excellent showing, both in form and quickness of play.

The bouts of the University team resulted as follows: H. W. Holmes 1G., (captain)--won 4, lost 5; A. Tyng '04--won 3, lost 3; R. S. Earle 2L.--won 3, lost 6; W. F. Low '07--won 0, lost 3.

In the first round Captain Holmes tied Captain Frick of Pennsylvania, and Frick won in a second bout of two minutes. In the second round Earle took the place of MacLeod, who was kept away by illness. In the third round Tyng took Low's place, and won three bouts in a total of six.

The teams were made up as follows:

Harvard--H. W. Holmes 1G., captain, A. Tyng '04, R. S. Earle 2L., and W. F. Low '07.

Yale--F. E. Howland, captain, A. L. Lawrence, A. Mendoza.

University of Pennsylvania--B. O. Frick, captain, L. M. Fleisher, A. C. Brand.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology--J. Lage, captain, W. Riley, and Lieutenant Gatewood.

The judges were: Mr. J. F. Powers, B. A. A., H. J. Elam 3L., Lieutenant Henry, U. S. N., Mr. J. T. Shaw, B. A. A., Lieutenant McBride, U. S. N., Dr. F. W. Allen, B. A. A., W. B. Tyler. Secretary of the Amateur Fencers League of America in New England. Mr. S. Cabot, B. A. A., acted as director.