First Performance of "The Alchemist'

The graduates' performance of the "Alchemist," the sixth Elizabethan revival by the Harvard Chapter of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, will be given in Brattle Hall this evening at 8 o'clock. The cast is as follows: Subtle, the alchemist,  C. Kempner '06 Dol. his wife,  K. K. Smith '04 Face, the housekeeper,  P. E. Osgood '04 Dapper, a laywer's clerk,  A. L. Thayer '04 Drugger, a tobacco man,  D. C. Manning 1L. Sir Epicure Mammon, a knight,  R. S. Wallace '04 Lovewit, master of the house,  H. S. Deming '05 Pertinax Surly, a gamester,  R. I. Underhill '06 Tribulation Wholesome, a pastor of Amsterdam,  H. McI. Holmes '06 Ananias, a deacon,  H. P. Johnson '05 Kastril, the angry boy,  T. P. Smith '05 Dame Pliant, a widow,  R. B. Gring '05 First Officer,  J. Kerans '07 Second Officer,  J. F. Henderson '05

Neighbors, F. M. Wright '06, K. Smith '05, W. W. Thayer '06, J. F. Henderson '05, W. Lewis '05, H. H. Bennett '04, B. Walton '04.

Written by Jonson in 1610, the play satirizes the folly of the time, the search for the philosopher's stone. One Master Lovewit, frightened by the spread of the plague in London, departs for the country, leaving his house in care of his butler, Jeremy, better known because of his militant audacity as Face. Face fetches Subtle, a charlatan, into the house and represents him to all comers as one skilled in alchemy, able at will to call up the spirits of heaven and earth. Aided by Dol, Subtle's wife, the cunning sharpers play upon the credulity of the London populace. In the midst of their merry fleecing. Lovewit returns and catches the deceivers red-handed at their game.

"The Alchemist" is swift in movement, full of bustle and life, witty, good humored, and skillfully constructed. By invitation of the Department of English of Wellesley College, a special performance will be given in the "Barn," on the evening of April 9.

Public performances will be given as follows: Thursday, April 7, and Wednesday matinee, April 6, Brattle Hall; Friday, April 8, Potter Hall, Huntington avenue, Boston; Friday, April 15, Andover Town Hall.

Tickets, at $1.50 and $1.00 can be obtained from Herrick or on application to H. H. Bennett, 136 Westmorly Court.