FIRST YALE GAME TODAY

On Soldiers Field at 2 o'clock.--Coburn and Jackson the Pitchers.

The University baseball nine will play the first game of the series with Yale at 2 o'clock today on Soldiers Field.

Five members of last year's Yale team will play today. Owing to injuries, however, the team is considerably different from that which took part in the first game of the Princeton series, and even somewhat changed from that which played in the third Princeton game two weeks later. McKay, who pitched in the first game, is unable to play today on account of an injured arm. Metcalf, the regular second baseman and a member of last year's team, is out of the game with an injured leg received in the last Princeton game. Smith, who played right field in the first game with Princeton is also prevented by an injury from playing today. The result of these losses to the team has been that Bowman, last year's pitcher, who has been playing at first base all through the season, has been moved to second and his place given to Chittenden, last year's first, Barnes in right, and Jackson will pitch. Jackson's work this season has been unsteady, although at times brilliant. He held Pennsylvania down to five hits, but was freely hit by Princeton in the second game of the series when he took Allen's place in the last innings. Despite these changes, the Yale team has held hard practice since the Princeton series and will undoubtedly give the University nine one of the hardest contests of the season.

Since the Yale team went through a stage of poor playing in which it was defeated by Tufts and Andover, it won all the games up to the Princeton series, including two games with Pennsylvania, two with Brown, and that with Holy Cross which it won for the first time in several years. In the Princeton series, however, the team was decidedly weak both at bat and in the field.

The University team has shown strength in the field throughout the season and at bat has been strong at times, particularly against the better pitchers it has met. The practice on Monday and Tuesday was especially fast, and if the team plays this afternoon in the form of which it has repeatedly shown itself capable, the chances of success should be good.

The batting orders this afternoon will be as follows: Harvard.  Yale. Carr, 3b.  s.s. O'Brien Stephenson, c.  3b., Huiskamp Randall, 1b.  2b., Bowman Matthews, s.s.  c.f., Miller Fischel, l.f.  1.b., Chitlenden McCarty, c.f.  l.f., Cote Greenough, r.f.  c. Winslow Kernan, 2b.  r.f., Barnes Coburn, P.  p., Jackson