Porto Rican Teachers Here.

Definite plans have been made to establish a Summer School for Porto Rican teachers at Harvard this year, similar to that held in 1900 for the Cuban teachers. According to an act of Congress passed last January, about 600 teachers, chosen by Mr. S. N. Lindsay, commissioner of education in Porto Rico will be brought, to the United States this summer on transports by the War Department. Of these, nearly 300 will come to Harvard, arriving in Cambridge on July 2. Lodgings will be provided in the neighborhood of the College. President Eliot is now organizing the teaching staff, which will consist of about twelve persons, and also arranging the course of study to be pursued. The principal instruction will be in English, graded to meet the differences in the teachers' previous training. One quarter of the teachers will be women, and the expedition will come provided with interpreters, chaperones, and guides.

A substantial part of the cost of the expedition will be borne by the teachers themselves, and the remainder by subscriptions now being collected by committees in the principal cities in the East. The sum which must be raised to maintain the teachers at Harvard will be approximately $12,500. Of this, $6,000 has already been collected. Any further contributions may be sent to Henry L. Higginson, 44 State street, Boston.