Freshmen Defeated by Groton

The Freshmen eleven was defeated by Groton School at Groton on Saturday in their first game this season by the score of 6 to 0. The work of the Freshman team was fairly encouraging considering the short time the men have been playing together. The defeat was due rather to poor team play than to lack of individual effort. Although the Freshman line was heavier than that of its opponents, Groton, owing to superior speed and team play was able to gain fairly consistently, especially during the first half. The Freshman backs were given little assistance while carrying the ball, and in addition made several costly fumbles. Groton's touchdown, which was made in the first few minutes of play, resulted from Bacon's recovering a fumble made by one of his own side and running 10 yards to the goal line. After this neither team was able to score, although in the second half the Freshmen were several times within striking distance.

The summary: HARVARD 1909.  GROTON. Field, l.e.  r.e., Gray Severance, l.t.  r.t., Foster Nourse, l.g.  r.g., Bacon F. Forcheimer, Dore, c.  c., Hadden Robinson, Hoar, r.g.  l.g., Marvin L. Forcheimer, Lloyd, r.t.  l.t., Harding Nickerson, Palmer, r.e.  l.e., Crocker Cate, Thomas, q.b.  q.b., Rogers McLaughlin, Cutting, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Thayer Lunt, Graydon, r.h.b. l.h.b.,  Frothingham Cotton, Cutler, f.b.  f.b., Waterbury

Score--Harvard '09, 0; Groton, 6. Touchdown--Bacon. Goal from touchdown--Bacon. Time--10 and 8 minute halves.

R. H. Eggleston, Jr., has been appointed manager of the Freshman football team.