RUGBY FOOTBALL A TIE

Each Team Scored One Touchdown.--Rugby Very Open Game.

The rugby football game, played in the Stadium on Saturday afternoon between the Dalhousie University and All-Halifax teams, resulted in a tie of 3 to 3. Both teams played very hard and seemed over-anxious to win, with the result that the game was characterized by much forward passing. Scrimmages were very frequent and neither team seemed able to break away after the ball had been heeled out. Halifax lost several excellent chances to score through poor passing. Both teams punted into touch frequently, but a scrimmage invariably followed, and neither side profited by the exchange.

The game as it was played on Saturday, although not as good an exhibition as the teams are capable of, gave the spectators a chance for a comparison between the English style of football play and the American. The rugby game is undoubtedly more open. The running and passing and frequent kicking giving opportunity for good individual work, allowing the spectators to see just where and how the ball is handled. The frequent changes of position and the ease with which the ball may be carried half the length of the field without any decided loss or gain to either side, seems strange to those accustomed to the American game.

In the game on Saturday Dalhousie kicked off to Halifax. On an exchange of punts, several scrimmages, and good passing, Halifax carried the ball to Dalhousie's 15-yard line. Here a try for a field goal failed. Neither goal line was threatened again during this first half. In the second half Halifax played aggressively and scored in two minutes of play, but a forward pass was claimed and the ball brought back to the 10-yard line. Dalhousie then rushed the ball to Halifax's goal line, where Halifax fell on it for a safety. Dalhousie' scored a moment later on a fumbled kick. The goal was missed. During the rest of the half Halifax was constantly in Dalhousie's territory, and would have scored but for poor passing. Near the end of the half Halifax finally carried the ball over, but failed to kick the goal.

The summary: DALHOUSIE.  ALL-HALIFAX. McLean, f.b.  f.b., B. Macdonald C. Baillie, (capt.)t.q.b.,  t.q.b., Campbell (capt.) McLillan, t.q.b.  t.q.b., Gorham Buckley, t.q.b.,  t.q.b., Doyle Flemming, t.q.b.  t.q.b., Bourne Hamilton, h.b.  h.b., Rankine Fraser, h.b.  h.b., Dickie C. Macdonald, f.  f., F. Macdonald McKenzie, f.  f., Dwyer H. McRes, f.  f., Corston D. R. McRes, f.  f., Fenerty Bruce, f.  f.A. C. Baillie Morrison, f.  f., Archibald Jonah, f.  f., J. Rankine Cameron, f.  f., Sutherland

Score--Dalhousie, 3; All-Halifax, 3. Time--35 and 30-minute periods.