OPPORTUNITIES FOR DEBATING

University, Freshman and Forum Systems Reviewed and Outlined for Year.

The following outline shows the work done in debating this year throughout the University.

Membership in the University debating club has been restricted this year to men of the three upper clases, who have had some experience in debating. Weekly meetings have been held and regular debates between the members conducted. One trial has been held so far, and more will be held from time to time in order to give men an opportunity to prove their worthiness to be elected to membership. A committee on membership has been appointed, as follows: chairman, J. S. Davis '08; B. V. Kanaley 2L., J. C. Prizer '07. The officers are: President, G. W. Hinckley 3L.; vice-president, J. W. Russell 1L.; secretary, J. S. Davis '08; treasurer, A. B. Green '07.

On October 17 the Freshmen debating society organized for the year. At this meeting temporary officers were elected to serve at the next meeting, when the following regular officers were elected. President, O. Lyding; vice-president, J. Prendergast; secretary, M. T. Ackerland; treasurer, H. Gray. The work of the club thus far has consisted of weekly meetings at which practice debates are held on subjects of timely interest.

No regular Sophomore society meetings are held this year, but in their place the Forum debating society has been organized. This club is open to men of the three upper classes, the object being to give all men an opportunity to train themselves in regular debating, and thus prepare for membership in the University club. Meetings are held every two weeks, at which debates take place between the ten teams into which the club has been divided. Prizes will be given to the team having the best record at the end of the year. Officers have been elected for the year as follows: President, B. M. Nussbaum '08; vice-president, D. Rosenblum '08; secretary, E. W. Carman '08; treasurer, H. H. Buckman '08.

The debating council, of which E. M. Rabenold 2L. is president, has recently voted to collect money among the different dormitories in order to pay debts, give prizes and put debating in the University on its feet financially.