MUCH STRONGER DEFENSE

In Last Scrimmage, Yesterday.--Team Goes to Marblehead This Afternoon.

Contrary to the original plan there was again a scrimmage yesterday afternoon and the defense made a strong showing. The second team was given the ball three times on the 15-yard line and every time was met by a solid resistance against which it was impossible to gain. The offense was also stronger, the men starting fast and together. The interference was more effective and the team play was noticeably better than at any time since the week before the Pennsylvania game. In the 13-minute scrimmage the first eleven made two touchdowns by hard rushing and consistent gains. Later the substitutes also lined up against the second eleven and besides scoring once held well on defensive work similar to that given the first eleven. The preliminary practice consisted only of drill in taking starts for the linemen and punting for the ends and backs. At the close of the scrimmage further attention was given to punting, with Leonard and Burr excelling.

In the scrimmage Starr received the first kickoff on the 10-yard line and ran it back 25-yards. Then the ball was steadily rushed down the field and Squires made the touchdown. Wendell ran the next kickoff back 25 yards and this time the only check was a penalty for offside play which the first team easily made up. The touchdown was made by Wendell. Both times Burr kicked a goal. After the defensive work the first team had rushed the ball well down the field when time was called.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Snyder, l.e.  r.e., Burnham Montgomery, l.t.  r.t., Meier Burr, l.g.  r.g., Irving Parker, c.  c., Fraser Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Brown Squires, r.t.  l.t., Gilmore Knowlton, r.e.  l.e., Bartels, Grant Starr, q.b.  q.b., Timmins Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Heilborn, Harding Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Myers, Blair Carr, f.b.  f.b., Mason, Jones

The substitutes lined up as follows--l.e., Pruyn; l.t., Spear; l.g., Peirce; c., White; r.g., McFadon; r.t., Fultz; r.e., Montgomery; q.b., Newhall, Hall; l.h.b., Gilder; r.h.b., Lincoln; f.b., Harrison.

After the practice this afternoon the University team and substitutes will be taken to the Cliff Club, Marblehead, where they will stay until Saturday. This afternoon there will only be signal practice and there may be a little of the same work at Marblehead tomorrow. The following will be taken: Brill, Burr, Carr, Foster, Hall, Hurley, Knowlton, Kersburg, Leary, Montgomery, Newhall, Parker, Peirce, Squires, Starr, Wendell, White, Nesmith, Snyder, Harrison, Nichols, Leonard, McFadon, Lincoln, Barney, Somes, McLeod, Bartels, Macdonald, Pruyn, Spear, Craft, Fultz.