Prof. Ostwald Ingersoll Lecturer

Professor Wilhelm Ostwald of the University of Leipzig has been chosen by the Corporation to deliver this year's Ingersoll lecture.

Professor Ostwald is regarded as one of the founders of the modern science of physical chemistry; and he has achieved a position of the highest rank in the scientific world, not only as an investigator and thinker, but also as a reformer, organizer, and teacher in the field of natural science. In recent years he has extended his studies to the broad field of the philosophy of science, a subject to which two of his best-known works are devoted.

The Ingersoll lectureship was founded by the will of Miss Caroline Haskell Ingersoll, of Keene, N. H., who died in 1893. Provision was made for the annual delivery and publication of a lecture upon the general subject of "The immortality of Man." Last year Rev. S. McC. Crothers, D. D., pastor of the First Unitarian Church, spoke upon "Immortality and Ethical Idealism" and in the previous year Dr. William osler, professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University, spoke upon "Science and Immortality."