Address Yesterday by Dr. Brackett.

Under the auspices of the Social Service Committee Dr. J. R. Brackett '83 spoke last night in the Randall Room. Phillips Brooks House, on "The Ultimate Aims of our Social Work." Before his address the subject was informally discussed by the meeting.

Dr. Brackett said that men entering philanthropic work are influenced from different motives. The primary incentive, however, should be the objective good which we can do for others. Some are interested from the personal or subjective pleasure which they realize from their work; others are drawn into philanthropy by a sense of social obligation and civic pride. Earnest social work with our fellowmen should give us a practical knowledge of social conditions, and enable us to exercise a more perfect judgment in choosing the suitable remedies.

Dr. Brackett then illustrated the many opportunities of bettering the social conditions around us. Inestimable good can be accomplished by a more thoughtful execution of our administrative justice. Then we can improve the situation of the employer and servant. There are many other opportunities of doing good in the routine of our daily life. Inspiration, however, can come only through personal contact with other men. In closing, he laid stress on the need of philanthropic ideals, a larger goal of real social democracy towards which we may strive.