1905-06 ATHLETIC PROSPECTS

Outlook for Baseball, Football, Track and Crew.

Following is the outlook for the University baseball, football, and track teams, and the University crew for next year, based on the showing of the past season:

The Baseball Team.

While the prospects for next year's University baseball team are not particularly bright, owing to the loss of an unusual number of prominent members of this year's nine, the number and quality of the available substitutes make the outlook in no way discouraging.

Of this year's team C. W. Randall 1L., captain and first baseman; P. N. Coburn 2L., pitcher, and W. C. Matthews 1L., shortstop, will be unable to play next year on account of the four year eligibility rule. Their loss will be keenly felt as their experience has made them especially valuable in the development of the team. H. D. Kernan '05, left fielder; W. F. Bradbury '06, second baseman, and F. A. Spencer '06, fielder, will be lost by graduation. This leaves B. K. Stephenson '06, catcher; C. R. Leonard '08, third baseman; A. E. McCarty '07, right fielder, and W. D. Dexter '07, centre fielder.

The most difficult position to fill satisfactorily will undoubtedly be that of pitcher. The most likely candidates are A. L. Castle '06, H. A. Taylor '07, S. Hendricks 1L. and C. E. Lincoln '08. Castle played in several important games this season and showed good control, but has not sufficient speed. Taylor has fair speed, but shows lack of experience. Hendricks, who was ineligible this year, has done consistent work in pitching to the men for batting practice, and Lincoln has pitched a good game on the Freshman nine throughout the season.

Candidates for first base include McCarty, who played satisfactorily in Captain Randall's place in several early games; B. T. Stephenson '08, of this year's Freshman team, and J. W. Wendell '08, catcher on the same team. F. W. Kemble '08, who has played in a good many games this spring, W. D. Dexter '07, regular centre fielder this year, and G. Ware '08, will be competitors for the positions, of shortstop and second base. The outfield positions, apparently, are uncertain, as there are comparatively few candidates for the places. J. H. Giles '07 and L. Fischel '08, captain of the Freshman nine, should prove useful as candidates for these positions.

The team next year will necessarily be hampered at first by the lack of experienced men, but the quality of the new men should insure a good team later in the season.

The Football Team.

The candidates for the University football team will return to Cambridge before College opens in September to begin practice in preparation for the first game of the schedule, which will be played with Williams on Saturday, September 30. For the first few days a number of graduate coaches will assist Head Coach Reid in the preliminary work, but after the squad has been sufficiently reduced, Mr. Reid and his regular staff will direct the work. The present indications are that from the point of view of material Harvard will start the season only fairly well off. Nine of the sixteen men who played in the Yale game last fall will return to College next year but of this number several will probable be ineligible on account of studies so that the coaches will probably have a difficult task to get the team together early in the season.

The prospects for a good back-field are bright; there is an abundance of material. Captain Hurley, by his brilliant work in all departments of the game, is easily the most prominent. Besides him there will be J. D. Nichols '06, F. H. Nesmith '06, H. Foster '07, J. Reynolds, Jr., '07 and J. Wendell '08. As R. E. Sperry '06 does not expect to return, a reliable punter will have to be round, for Nichols is rather erratic in this department of the game. At quarterback, D. P. Starr '08 has shown marked in running the team, although he has been handicapped by lack of experience. From present indications the only other prominent candidate for this position will be J. Kerans '07, who was quarterback on the second eleven this year.

The outlook for the line is only mediocre. The material from last year's team is only fair and there is a special need for an experienced man for centre. Of the men who played in the Yale game last fall, the following will probably return: B. H. Squires '06, F. H. White '06, K. F. Brill '08 and B. Parker '08. J. Parkinson '06 will not return. Other men who played in the more important games and will be eligible next year are: R. Oveson '05, who will enter the Law School. D. McFadon '06, W. Z. Carr, H. B. Barney '08. From the second team, H. C. Pell '06 and W. Pierce '07 are likely candidates for line positions. The principal problem which will confront the team will be the choice of ends. None of the men who will return next year have shown the proper ability, but all should improve next fall. Montgomery's work was probably the most promising of any of the candidates last year. In addition to him, the following men wll be available: L. H. Leary 1L., R. Shurtleff '06, A. C. Blagden '06, H. H. Whitman '06 and N. L. Hall '07.

The men on the Freshman team this year who showed the most ability were G. S. Talbot, P. Grant and S. D. Warren. Talbot, with good coaching, should eventually develop into a useful man, as he is a fair punter and has the weight necessary for a guard.

The Track Team.

Next year the University track team will probably be much stronger than it was in the past season. In addition to the nine members of the team who won points in the dual meet with Yale a large number of capable men will be available. The point-winners who will return to College are Captain E. J. Dives '06, L. P. Dodge '08, H. H. Whitman '06, H. M. Turner '06, W. G. Howard '07, M. H. Stone '07, O. F. Rogers, Jr., '08, W. B. Jordan '06, and F. J. W. Ford 2L. The team will be greatly weakened by the loss of Captain W. A. Schick, Jr., '05, who for the past two years has won both the 100-yard and 220-yard dashes in the dual meets with Yale and the intercollegiate games. F. H. Schoenfuss '05, R. E. Crane '05, and W. Soule '06, who won points in the dual meet with Yale this year will not return to College, E. M. Sawyer 1G., will return next year but will be ineligible for the team, having represented the University for four years.

In the track events the team will probably be very strong. L. P. Dodge '08, P. C. Lockwood '07, and E. D. Hamilton '06 will form the nucleus of a last sprinting squad, but E. J. Dives '06 is the only promising man for the 440-yard run. H. H. Whitman '06, A. S. Cobb '07, and C. Brinsmade '07 will compete again in the 880-yard run. H. M. Turner '06, who did well in the mile run, especially in the intercollegiate games, should be a very strong runner next year. C. H. Sutherland '06 and S. T. Hubbard '07, who were in poor physical condition this year, and H. F. Miller sS. will also be eligible for the mile run. Very good results are expected in the two-mile run. W. G. Howard '07, M. H. Stone '07 and A. King 2L., who finished fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively, in this event in the intercollegiate games will be valuable men. W. Minot '07 and M. S. Crosby '08, also two-millers, are expected to show great improvement next year. The only man of promise for the hurdles is O. F. Rogers, Jr., '08, who finished third in the 220-yard hurdles in the meet with Yale. Several other members of the Freshman class may improve sufficiently to make the team.

The prospects in the field events are also fair and material is abundant. At Derby 2L. and E. J. Ford 1L. will again be in the high jump, and W. B. Jordan '06 and F. J. W. Ford 2L., in the broad jump. R. Gring '05, who has been absent from the University this year will probably return, and with A. G. Grant '07 and W. P. Henneberry '07 should form a very strong squad of pole vaulters. R. H. Oveson '05 and H. E. Kersburg '07, who have developed well in the hammer throw, should be reliable men next spring. W. A. Hanley '07 is expected to make the team and win points in the shot put. B. T. Stephenson '08 is another promising candidate for this event.

The greatest need of new men will be in the 440-yard, 880-yard and mile runs, the hurdles, high jump and weight events, but as the material available for these events is good, a strong track team is expected next year.

The Crew.

The prospects for a fast crew next season are very encouraging. The following six men from the present University boat are expected to be eligible next year: Captain O. D. Filley '06, R. L. Bacon '07, D. A. Newhall '06, P. W. Flint '06, R. M. Tappan '07, L. Burchard '06. J. R. Montgomery '06, the coxswain, and E. Farley '07, A. G. Gill '06 and W. W. Corlett '06 of the University four-oar crew will return to College. This squad will be supplemented by O. N. Shepard '06 and F. R. Pleasonton '07, the two University substitutes, and probably by all the members of this year's unusually strong Freshman crew. Of the Freshmen, S. D. Warren '08, J. Richardson '08 and S. W. Fish '08 will make especially promising candidates.

This year a lack of good material for the port side of the boat and Coach Wray's unfamiliarity with the men has retarded the development of the crew. With the result of the races at New London as a definite basis for the work, and the advantage of greater familiarity with the stroke introduced this year, as a result of longer training, the outlook for next year is very favorable.

Next fall, regular rowing will commence early in October and the members of the University crew will therefore probably be selected at an early date.

The Track Team.

The Crew.