University Lacrosse Team Plans

Candidates for the University lacrosse team will be called out the latter part of February when preliminary practice will be held on the handball courts in the rear of the Gymnasium. This work will be designed to get the experienced men into good physical condition and to instruct new men in the rudiments of the game. Exercise will be given indoors and the men, who will be divided into University and Freshman squads, will be coached in stick work and in passing and catching the ball on the outdoor courts. The University squad will be coached by R. S. Hardy '01; the coach for the Freshmen has not yet been chosen. Personal attention will be given to all new men and every effort made to teach them the beginnings of the game so that when the field work commences they will be more evenly matched with the experienced players.

Practice will begin on Soldiers Field as soon as the ground is in condition, and regular line-ups will then be held in order to develop team play before the southern trip, which will this year include games with Johns Hopkins, Mt. Washington Club of Baltimore, Swarthmore and the Philadelphia Athletic Club. The schedule for the latter part of the season will be made up largely of intercollegiate games. The class games will be played soon after the recess. Prospects for a strong team are bright, as eight of the players who won their letters last spring have returned to College and are eligible to play again. There are also several good players from last year's second and Freshman squads. The members of last year's team who have returned are S. H. Ackerman '07, J. O. Bailey '06, W. S. Mendel '06, A. W. Rice 1L., T. D. Sloan '06, F. P. Summers '06, F. W. Wead '07 and E. J. Wendell '07.