FOOTBALL WITH SPRINGFIELD

In Stadium at 3.--Reserved Cheering Section.--No Scrimmage Yesterday.

The University football team will play its sixth game of the season with the Springfield Training School team this afternoon at 3 o'clock in the Stadium. There will be a cheering section reserved for holders of yellow season tickets.

Last year Harvard defeated the Training School by the score of 12 to 0, in a slow and uninteresting game, marked by rough play and unnecessary fumbling. Yale played against the Springfield eleven on October 10, winning by the score of 12 to 0 and, therefore, this game should afford a good opportunity for judging the relative strength of Harvard and Yale this year. In the game with Springfield Yale used the forward pass with a fair measure of success, but failed to make a higher score on account of costly fumbles. At times the Springfield backs made consistent gains through the Yale line, and for that reason it is expected that the game this afternoon will be harder than any the University eleven has played so far this season. Six of the men who played against Harvard last year are again in the line-up.

Owing to the fact that Hall is still unable to play, Newhall will be put in as quarterback. Miller will start the game at left end and Orr at right end. In the back field the University team will be especially strong with Captain Foster at left half, Lockwood at right half, and Wendell at fullback.

The line-up of the two teams follows: HARVARD.  SPRINGFIELD. Miller, l.e.  r.e., Werner, Sheehan, Fleming Osborne, l.t.  r.t., Holmes Burr, l.g.  r.g., Cook Parker, c.  c., Wright (captain) Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Miller, Phillips Peirce, r.t.  lt., Kern Orr, r.e.  l.e., Crispen, Allen Newhall, q.b.  q.b., Carrell Foster, l.h.  r.h., Young Lockwood, r.h.  l.h., Honhardt Wendell, f.b.  f.b. Briggs

The football squad had no regular scrimmage yesterday, most of the time being devoted to practice of the forward pass and the onside kick by two elevens formed from the first squad. While the second team were running through signals, Burr gave the first team ends and backs a long practice in catching and running in punts. Later on Newhall took Burr's place, trying several punts for the purpose of giving the ends practice in quick starting. In the line-up the passes were worked fairly well, which makes it possible that they will be tried to a very considerable extent in the game today.